Thursday, April 24, 2008

Excitement and Expense

We're getting a new fridge this weekend, which is exciting - for me at least. Our current refrigerator is probably close to 30 years old (no really!) and I've been waiting for it to die for some time now. Luckily I've been able to sock away the money to beat it to the punch. We were looking at spending an extra grand and replacing the microwave, dishwasher, and stove also - it'll have to be done anyway before we put the house up for sale in a few years - but unfortunately the news from my union regarding negotiations is not sounding too good. We can't afford to spend too much money if a strike is imminent...so I'm settling for just a new fridge for now.

Speaking of new houses, I'm having a hard time right now. It seems like everyone we know is moving and after 6 years in this house the gypsy in me is getting antsy. It also doesn't help that I literally have toys scattered throughout every room in my house! The bigger the girls get, the smaller the house seems. My goal for some time now has been to build a house when we move - right now the husband and I are having an ongoing argument about that pipe dream. He says we won't be able to afford it, and I say we make too much money not to be able to. Granted, we do have debt and pay an insane amount of money for daycare for both the girls. And he also seems to think that saving for retirement and college funds is somehow a priority. Personally I think he just relishes being a killjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can always come over and hang out at my house, no kids, pool table, no kids, ping pong, no kids, lots of space, and did I mention, no kids? :) Tod talks every once in a while about "when we sell this house in a few years" ummm, hello...just got here, haven't even stripped all the wallpaper off yet....still have boxes to unpack...

PoliTeach said...

Yes, but then who would watch the kids!? :)