Thursday, July 17, 2008

Single Parenting

The vast majority of the time, I don't know how single parents do it. Especially with infants...I would go crazy. But this week I've had my own little foray into doing it all on my own and it really hasn't been that bad. The husband has been gone all week for a work thing, and it has really been a less stressful week than usual. Which I find more than a little depressing. Not that I don't miss him, I do - but it's actually been nice only having to keep track of and pick up after two people. And sadly the two little ones are much better about actually doing the things that I ask them to do to help out or can be at least be cajoled into it. It probably also doesn't hurt that my expectations for them are lower! Or that I'm still off work this week, although I have been in to school every day since my school starts back on Monday. But still, it's sad that my husband leaves town and my stress level drops dramatically. I can only think that it's because I have one less person to become frustrated with.

I don't hold out too much hope that my relaxed mood will last though. Hubby comes back tomorrow and the closer it gets to school starting, the more anxious I'm bound to get. I'm really excited to be changing teaching positions for next year; I'm just not very big on change in general and I really want to be prepared and have everything go well next week. The beginning of the year sets the tone for the school year, and for a variety of reasons I'd like the year to go smoothly!

1 comment:

April said...

That's not single parenting, that's solo-parenting for a limited period of time.